Monday 19 August 2013

Sherwood Forest Visit




Living right on the Nottinghamshire border, Sherwood Forest is somewhere I visit every summer and other times of the year. Although we often struggle to get there due to getting lost, this year we used a trusty GPS app which got us there first go We visited this year during the Robin Hood Festival so this post is a bit overdue but I only just decided to write about it.

The Robin Hood Festival is a one week event at Sherwood Forest every year. There is so much to do from archery to pottery making and loads of different craft and handmade stalls. We took our guide dog puppy with us and although we had a great day I don't recommend taking a puppy with you as it got so busy by the visitor center that people were bashing into him and stepping on his tail. 

The stalls were amazing and probably my favourite thing about the festival. There was a leather carver woman who was personalising key-rings, belts, bags and other leather goods. I got my dad a lovely keyring with his initial on it. There was also a bracelet stall with handmade leather bracelets which I had to get one of. All around the forest there were free shows to go to and characters such as Robin Hood and Maid Marian walking around. There was also a man doing pottery making (with the spinning table and everything) which I must admit to having a go at and there was also a jousting stadium which had been set up and there were shows and jousting held in there.



If you have been to Sherwood forest then you will know that there is a craft village about 10 minutes walk away from the visitor center which is lovely to visit if you have any time left, as well as the 2 visitor center shops and a restaurant.

My family got speaking to a man (because he wanted to say hello to the dog) who had traveled from the South coast on his motorbike. He was saying that he had wanted to visit for a while but that his car wouldn't make it this far but he got classic bike insurance so could come up on his bike. I find it fascinating that people travel so far just to see the Major Oak. The festival also seemed to be popular with tourists from Asia. This shows how famous Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest are all over the world which is incredible.

The day was great for my whole family and there definitely was something for everyone. I know this post was about the festival but if you visit when the festival is not on there is still plenty for the whole family to do.

Let me know if you have been to Sherwood Forest.

Megan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment